Friday, January 11, 2013

7 Quick Takes

Here are 7 Quick Takes about my week. The meme is hosted over at Conversion Diary.


1.  I did not blog yesterday! I meant to. I took the computer to the living room, turned on an old episode of Poirot, and got comfortable on the couch. The next thing I remember was my husband saying, "Sharon! Sharon, you're asleep. You're about to drop the computer. Go upstairs and go to bed." So I did.

Maybe that shows a lack of commitment to blogging.  I prefer to think of it as a strong commitment to sleep. A friend and companion as dear as sleep deserves commitment.

2. I took my youngest to the grocery store today. I foolishly let her bring her sister's favorite toy inside. She left it at the store. I have already called the store, but they haven't found it yet.

Nine years into parenthood and I am still making rookie mistakes. There will be tears when school is over. Not mine. Well, not at first.

3. In other grocery store adventures, I bought a fancy German candy bar that I thought was milk chocolate with almonds. I took my first bite and discovered it was instead milk chocolate with amaretto-flavored marzipan. If dictionaries defined words by food, this one would be next to the word "anti-climactic." (And, as I said on twitter a few days ago, white chocolate is the taste of disappointment. Obviously.)

The silver lining here is that my calorie count for the day just fell by a couple hundred, because there is no way I am putting that thing in my mouth again. Blechh. Anybody want some chocolate?

4. On the way to the grocery store, my youngest kept singing  "Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer," but she rewrote it to include lines about Santa's underwear.

I give up.

5. I have written and deleted a paragraph about my husband's employer three times because it seems unwise to print it, especially now that I blog under my real name. Instead, I'll suggest you read James 5. Scripture has more wisdom than I do anyway.

And that's all I have to say about that.

6. Have you heard my friend Liz Bowater sing? She and some other local musicians got together to make an album of Christmas music to raise money for a local charity, United Ministries of Northern Kentucky. They provide all sorts of aid to families in our area. I especially like "Christmas for Everyone" and "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen."

7. We are reading The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell for my book group. It was published in 1997, which means for fifteen years there's been a sci-fi novel about Jesuit missionaries in space and no one told me. Someone dropped the ball. That's all I'm sayin'.

4 comments:

  1. amaretto flavoured marzipan sounds a bit like heaven to me... but i'm sorry it disappointed you. chocolate and sleep should always live up to our expectations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a lot longer than 15 years! Have you not read Canticle For Lebowitz? I thought I knew you were a fan already...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you not read that already? I blogged about it. I'm not normally a science fiction fan, but the phrase, "Jesuits in space" was just too funny to pass up. (The whole time I read it I would say the phrase like the muppets used to say, "PIGS! IN! SPACE!) I heard there's a sequel but I haven't read it.

    I'm sorry about Jennifer's health trouble, but love that you're blogging again.

    ReplyDelete